Episode #9 – February 16, 2023
Welcome to episode 9 of the Writing on Caffeine podcast. My daughter (Ragan Franzone) and I (Jonathan Franzone) are a father and daughter who have decided to write our very first novel. In this podcast, we are inviting you to come along on this journey with us.
A storytelling trope is a common plot device, theme, or character type that is used in a work of fiction. Trope comes from the Greek word “tropos,” which means “a turn” or “a change.” In storytelling, a trope is a recurring pattern or an established convention that has become a recognizable element of storytelling.
In this episode, we discuss our favorite and least favorite story tropes. Which story tropes are useful and compelling for a story? Which tropes drive us crazy and even cause Ragan to stop reading a book?
Books We’re Reading
- [Ragan] The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
- [Ragan] The Assassin’s Blade by Sarah J. Maas
- [Ragan] The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
- [Jonathan] Atlas Shrugged by Aynd Rand
- [Jonathan] The End of the Magi by Patrick W. Carr